Skip to main content

Information Management Summit 2010





After two great days in Wellington, thanks Brightstar and Julian Carver, here are the key points from my presentation.

Key points of my presentation about "Social computing - organisational collaboration and engagement"
  • Don't jump in boots and all
  • Have a strategy
  • Ensure the strategy has goals, actions, measures [I really like how Carmine Porco of Prescient Digital Media puts this]
  • Ask the hard question "In spending time and $$ on this social computing tool what aspect of our organisation's goals are we helping to achieve ? and how will we know it's working?"
I've created a list of resources I used to come up with my presentation tagged on Delicious with IMSNZ10.

I'd like to thank the large number of people who asked questions during the summit, and particularly those who queried my presentation.

One of the interesting questions asked that struck a cord with me was

"How do we begin to ensure social computing use is compliant with the New Zealand Public Records Act (NZ PRA) ?"

With many social media tools being ephemeral this is a great question and I don't profess to know the answer. There are a couple of potential ways to begin dealing with this issue though:

Where the social computing tool interactions are exposed to the web, Twitter search for example. Tools like wget could be used on a regular basis to take a snapshot of the search page results. These files could them become a record in the PRA sense.

Where an SMS text message needs to be recorded things get a bit trickier but are still manageable (usually via phone sync or email duplication, a processes staff "MUST" follow).

I've got togeather a few resources about social media and how they can be recorded in a way that works towards being PRA compliance but would love you to comment on ways in which your organisation is solving these issues.

How are you making social computing tools PRA compliant ?

Comments

Zeb said…
Really wish I had been able to attend this summit Dorje, as your preso touches at the heart of an issue we're currently facing in our organisation.
People using technology for the sake of technology with no clear strategy/purpose.

Popular posts from this blog

Role Title on profiles

Today one of the people I follow on Twitter asked the following question. @ChristySeason Asking all #intranet tweeps: Does your company publish employees' titles on your employee directory/look up/phone book? In following Intranets Live I've been lucky enough to see some great intranets. As such I was able to reply to Christy with the following Nokia do Deloitte do (see the end of the post) Christy's question also prompted me to document my own intranet's profile page. The following image is from the view other's get of my profile. When I look at my profile I see every item that is recorded. I'll save you from that, another post perhaps, if you're interested. DorjeM PS a couple of Vendors I've been reminded of, thanks Crhis and Carolyn, also have screen shots of their profile pages on the web: ThoughtFarmer - intranet software - slideshow of screen shots and Intranet connections - software solution
To setup rails on IIS and enable it for multiple Applications. START Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 IIS 6 RUBY Install ruby 185_22_rc2.exe You don't have to put it in c:\ruby I created the following folder c:\webdata\ruby, then ran the install. Run install into c:\webdata and say "YES" to deleting the existing ruby directory. During the install I ticked SciTE and Enable RubyGems Took 10mins 1000s of files Ruby GEMS Install Ruby Gems 0.9.1 (don't change it from the defaults) Extract zip file to temp directory, then double click setup.rb, does the default install (about 5mins) Then run at the command line gem pristine --all c:\> gem pristine --all I tried to install Ruby Gems in a particular directory, but couldn't get it working because if you use the command line SET command to put a value into GEM_HOME when the ruby gems installer setup.rb reads the registry it doesn't account for the fact that values in the registry contain double b

Yammer and puddles

Recently I was asked " What are the top 10 points you think are important to get across to staff at all levels in an organisation about Yammer? " My initial reaction was "Tough ask", mainly because I've seen great write ups on what organisations get out of Yammer but very few that talk directly to the user benefits. Many articles give the usual cop out "users can't see the point, until they get it" I admit I was in that boat when I started using Twitter, a public micro blogging platform. But just like they said "once I used it I got it". What they didn't say was that it took a while and it suits certain people better than others. So as with all things in the social media space, be aware that culture change not the technology may be your biggest challenge. So what does Yammer, a microblogging platform for organisational use , do for real employees that is compelling enough for them to spend the time to "Get it" ? First off Y