Skip to main content

SharePoint governance - a Parliamentary perspective

Recently I've been thinking about Governance for intranet sites, SharePoint and intranets as a whole.

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to present alongside some great folks from Telcom NZ, The department of Transport NZ, and NZ Parliament.

The team from NZ Parliament have come up with a governance structure that works really well for them in a very technically, politically and legally complex environment.



I talked to Tracy Parsons from NZ Parliament recently and she outlined what the force was that drove the move to this structure and the benefits they derive from it.

Originally the governance structure was setup quite differently. Large web site and intranet development projects were initiated and resulted in very project - focused governance structures being put in place. The projects transitioned form implementation to work as usual, this highlighted how project focused governance structures don’t suit work as usual operations.

The two senior business owners, who had spearheaded the strategic vision and delivery of the projects, found themselves involved in ever increasing numbers of meetings and levels of detail. “I’ve had enough!” was the point from which, a new role was created to oversee the day-to-day project and operational activities . This new role freed the senior managers to continue with their strategic work while providing the continuity required for business as usual operations.

It was at this point that the two agencies involved, the Parliamentary Service and the Office of the Clerk, engaged help to come up with a governance model that would work within the constraints of the agencies and stakeholders involved. Through this process the two agencies and their staff came to the solution you see here.

The solution to their governance issue was to have two separate groups connected by the two people in the new role. This new role manages the agendas for the monthly Website Governance Group (WGG) and the bi weekly agendas for the Website Management Committee. This new structure means no more project specific steering committees, less meetings all round, as well as greater awareness amongst all staff of the overall workload and organisational drivers.

This governance structure isn’t without it’s issues, project managers new to the structure and the Agile methodology (used by the entire web team at NZ Parliament) do find it hard. It is no longer possible to promote the importance of the project you’re working on over other projects by lobbying senior management. The coordinating role between the business as usual level and strategic level is able to mediate these issues. Similarly the structure provides a way to help resolve the competing requirements of the two agencies which support Parliament.

The result of having this structure is that more work is done at the right time, delivering the best outcomes, for the right reasons than ever before.

With Tracy’s words of experience in mind I set out to come up with a governance structure for the small part of our corporate SharePoint site that I have responsibility for.

My goal was to put in place a governance structure and processes that didn't demand too much time from senior staff, engaged all the stake holders and ensured buy in from the content / business owners [if you didn't win jargon bingo in that last sentence , you're not concentrating]

I also needed to keep the barrier to entry for setting this up as low as possible so the whole thing was labelled a management process, rather than a governance structure.

This is what I have proposed, it has yet to be confirmed as our way forward but I thought it useful to share. I'll share the outcome and what we finally put into practice at a later date.



The roles and accountability stack up like this



For those of you familiar with Toby Ward you’ll notice that I’ve used the same wording he outlines in his ‘how long is a piece of string post’ which to my mind distils out great definitions of
  • Vision
  • Goals
  • Objectives
I've added in tasks to take the process right through to the actual things that people do to achieve the measurable objectives. Possibly this is going too far but it works for me :-)


What do you think ? What black holes do you see opening beneath our feet ?


Many thanks to Tracey, the Parliamentary Service, and the Office of the Clerk for help sharing their experience.

DorjeM


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Role Title on profiles

Today one of the people I follow on Twitter asked the following question. @ChristySeason Asking all #intranet tweeps: Does your company publish employees' titles on your employee directory/look up/phone book? In following Intranets Live I've been lucky enough to see some great intranets. As such I was able to reply to Christy with the following Nokia do Deloitte do (see the end of the post) Christy's question also prompted me to document my own intranet's profile page. The following image is from the view other's get of my profile. When I look at my profile I see every item that is recorded. I'll save you from that, another post perhaps, if you're interested. DorjeM PS a couple of Vendors I've been reminded of, thanks Crhis and Carolyn, also have screen shots of their profile pages on the web: ThoughtFarmer - intranet software - slideshow of screen shots and Intranet connections - software solution
To setup rails on IIS and enable it for multiple Applications. START Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 IIS 6 RUBY Install ruby 185_22_rc2.exe You don't have to put it in c:\ruby I created the following folder c:\webdata\ruby, then ran the install. Run install into c:\webdata and say "YES" to deleting the existing ruby directory. During the install I ticked SciTE and Enable RubyGems Took 10mins 1000s of files Ruby GEMS Install Ruby Gems 0.9.1 (don't change it from the defaults) Extract zip file to temp directory, then double click setup.rb, does the default install (about 5mins) Then run at the command line gem pristine --all c:\> gem pristine --all I tried to install Ruby Gems in a particular directory, but couldn't get it working because if you use the command line SET command to put a value into GEM_HOME when the ruby gems installer setup.rb reads the registry it doesn't account for the fact that values in the registry contain double b

Yammer and puddles

Recently I was asked " What are the top 10 points you think are important to get across to staff at all levels in an organisation about Yammer? " My initial reaction was "Tough ask", mainly because I've seen great write ups on what organisations get out of Yammer but very few that talk directly to the user benefits. Many articles give the usual cop out "users can't see the point, until they get it" I admit I was in that boat when I started using Twitter, a public micro blogging platform. But just like they said "once I used it I got it". What they didn't say was that it took a while and it suits certain people better than others. So as with all things in the social media space, be aware that culture change not the technology may be your biggest challenge. So what does Yammer, a microblogging platform for organisational use , do for real employees that is compelling enough for them to spend the time to "Get it" ? First off Y