Skip to main content

Intranet eating out

- how your intranet can have a free lunch by consuming XML services from the internet
Business Problem
Staff need to know the time in other offices around the world.
The intranet tool I'd built in house worked well but every time somewhere changed their daylight saving time one or more office time's got out of synch and ended up being wrong. The tool relied on staff picking up problems, reporting them and me reacting.
My reaction involved referencing the information on
And updating my code with what I found.
Being keen on meeting new folks I contacted Steffen Thorsen, who created and maintains timeanddate.com, to see if he had any suggestions about my problem.
The Solution
Steffen said he was in the process of creating XML services that he thought might fit our requirements.
Once timeanddate.com had given me a profile for their XML service I started looking at how I could reproduce my intranet office times tool using the timeanddate.com XML service.
My intranet tool got a list of current offices from our employee profile database, it then associated those with pre defined rules relating to daylight savings time [because they got out of date they were the cause of my problem] and displayed the office it's current time and whether or not the time was within working hours or not.

As you'll note there are a couple of smaller towns in my list. Locations which aren't in timeanddate.com's extensive list of locations.
So for this reason and because the XML had to be retrieved from an external site I decided to grab the XML and manipulate it on the server side, rather than doing it in the user's browser.
Once I've got the information I want, manipulated it (changed a few location names) and added the sun and moon icons I display it to the user, layout via CSS.
The technical details
This tool was setup on and IIS6 server running classic ASP.
The key object to get to know so that you can do this sort of thing is Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM") or it's more modern cousins.
Great resources for those of you doing the coding work for this sort of thing are
and

Conclusion
The move from 'maintenance nightmare' to always correct (Thanks Steffen) time and date information for our global offices did take some time and learning.
Knowing that I've got a professional team on the end of my times and dates XML (www.timeanddate.com) means I can concentrate on all the other things on my plate ;-)
Happy to answer any questions on this tool that anyone may have.
DorjeM

Disclaimer
I don't have any financial interest in timeanddate.com.
I've been using Steffen's services for so long I trust and respect them so I thought I'd share my enthusiasm for what he does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Role Title on profiles

Today one of the people I follow on Twitter asked the following question. @ChristySeason Asking all #intranet tweeps: Does your company publish employees' titles on your employee directory/look up/phone book? In following Intranets Live I've been lucky enough to see some great intranets. As such I was able to reply to Christy with the following Nokia do Deloitte do (see the end of the post) Christy's question also prompted me to document my own intranet's profile page. The following image is from the view other's get of my profile. When I look at my profile I see every item that is recorded. I'll save you from that, another post perhaps, if you're interested. DorjeM PS a couple of Vendors I've been reminded of, thanks Crhis and Carolyn, also have screen shots of their profile pages on the web: ThoughtFarmer - intranet software - slideshow of screen shots and Intranet connections - software solution
To setup rails on IIS and enable it for multiple Applications. START Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 IIS 6 RUBY Install ruby 185_22_rc2.exe You don't have to put it in c:\ruby I created the following folder c:\webdata\ruby, then ran the install. Run install into c:\webdata and say "YES" to deleting the existing ruby directory. During the install I ticked SciTE and Enable RubyGems Took 10mins 1000s of files Ruby GEMS Install Ruby Gems 0.9.1 (don't change it from the defaults) Extract zip file to temp directory, then double click setup.rb, does the default install (about 5mins) Then run at the command line gem pristine --all c:\> gem pristine --all I tried to install Ruby Gems in a particular directory, but couldn't get it working because if you use the command line SET command to put a value into GEM_HOME when the ruby gems installer setup.rb reads the registry it doesn't account for the fact that values in the registry contain double b

Yammer and puddles

Recently I was asked " What are the top 10 points you think are important to get across to staff at all levels in an organisation about Yammer? " My initial reaction was "Tough ask", mainly because I've seen great write ups on what organisations get out of Yammer but very few that talk directly to the user benefits. Many articles give the usual cop out "users can't see the point, until they get it" I admit I was in that boat when I started using Twitter, a public micro blogging platform. But just like they said "once I used it I got it". What they didn't say was that it took a while and it suits certain people better than others. So as with all things in the social media space, be aware that culture change not the technology may be your biggest challenge. So what does Yammer, a microblogging platform for organisational use , do for real employees that is compelling enough for them to spend the time to "Get it" ? First off Y