Skip to main content

Intranet leadership training

VicRoads Intranet mouse mat -
from Oyster Design
In a couple of days I'll be attending the CAUDIT Leadership Institute.

My background is in the intranet or online workspace, and one of the issues that I've seen coming through in the discussions I've had with other intranet and online workplace managers over the past five years or so is the need for professional development.

Increasingly there are opportunities for development within the Intranet / Online workplace domain e.g.
But there are few opportunities that provide for the development of skills essential to effective intranets but not specific to them e.g.
  • Project management
  • Team work and oversight
  • Managing your manager/organisation
  • Career planning and development
These are the types of skills the CAUDIT Leadership Institute outline in the programme, during their yearly week long event.

In my experience it is  the ability of intranet / online workspace managers to marry a whole range of skills; technical, interpersonal and organisational that makes them successful. Within the IT realm this mixture tends to be fairly rare. As such I'm really looking forward to meeting the other attendees who only really have two things in common:
  • Work in the Tertiary education sector.
  • Are associated with IT within their organisations.
The blurb on the front of the CAUDIT Leadership Institute site says
The CAUDIT Leadership Institute is a dynamic, immersive program designed to enhance the leadership skills of Australian and New Zealand information technology and information resources managers in higher education. It is an outstanding opportunity to share information with peers and participate in hands-on learning experiences.
One thing I found somewhat difficult about attending was that though the blurb sounds great their isn't a lot to support that on their site. Normally I would expect the site to provide some fairly detailed information so that:
  • I can decide if this course is right for me.
  • I can convince my organisation to pay for me to attend AND spare me for the week not at work.
 In this case there isn't this level of detail. Looking back over the courses run in previous years there isn't much detail either. The one thing I did notice is that the programme topics and many of the presenters haven't changed much in the past few years. Which would tell me that they've got a successful combination.


So I asked my manager why he thought it was valuable for me to attend. His response was that we don't do enough of this type of development and that he had heard from several past participants how valuable it had been to them and their organisations.

When I heard this I realised why their wasn't a huge ammount of detail on the site. In New Zealand and Australia word of mouth is the most valuable marketing medium. This brings me back to the intranet / online workspace world. In any organisation it is your intranet's reputation that is a key factor in it's success, and much of that reputation related to word of mouth rather than communications or PR or giving staff mouse mats. Often good word of mouth directly relates to time spent with members of your organisation showing them the intranet and what it can do for them.

So if you're embarking on, or already into, your intranet / online workspace manager career make sure you:
  • attend domain specific professional development events. Even if it is just having a coffee with someone who runs an intranet in your area.
  • spend time thinking and working toward improving your other skills as well.
 Dorje

[Clarification - when the decision to attend the CAUDIT Leadership institute week was being made there was little information about each of the events each day available. As such this post is in that context. Since then the CAUDIT Leadership institute team have created a new website, which has outlines of each of the sessions that are very useful. Dorje]




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Role Title on profiles

Today one of the people I follow on Twitter asked the following question. @ChristySeason Asking all #intranet tweeps: Does your company publish employees' titles on your employee directory/look up/phone book? In following Intranets Live I've been lucky enough to see some great intranets. As such I was able to reply to Christy with the following Nokia do Deloitte do (see the end of the post) Christy's question also prompted me to document my own intranet's profile page. The following image is from the view other's get of my profile. When I look at my profile I see every item that is recorded. I'll save you from that, another post perhaps, if you're interested. DorjeM PS a couple of Vendors I've been reminded of, thanks Crhis and Carolyn, also have screen shots of their profile pages on the web: ThoughtFarmer - intranet software - slideshow of screen shots and Intranet connections - software solution
To setup rails on IIS and enable it for multiple Applications. START Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 IIS 6 RUBY Install ruby 185_22_rc2.exe You don't have to put it in c:\ruby I created the following folder c:\webdata\ruby, then ran the install. Run install into c:\webdata and say "YES" to deleting the existing ruby directory. During the install I ticked SciTE and Enable RubyGems Took 10mins 1000s of files Ruby GEMS Install Ruby Gems 0.9.1 (don't change it from the defaults) Extract zip file to temp directory, then double click setup.rb, does the default install (about 5mins) Then run at the command line gem pristine --all c:\> gem pristine --all I tried to install Ruby Gems in a particular directory, but couldn't get it working because if you use the command line SET command to put a value into GEM_HOME when the ruby gems installer setup.rb reads the registry it doesn't account for the fact that values in the registry contain double b

Yammer and puddles

Recently I was asked " What are the top 10 points you think are important to get across to staff at all levels in an organisation about Yammer? " My initial reaction was "Tough ask", mainly because I've seen great write ups on what organisations get out of Yammer but very few that talk directly to the user benefits. Many articles give the usual cop out "users can't see the point, until they get it" I admit I was in that boat when I started using Twitter, a public micro blogging platform. But just like they said "once I used it I got it". What they didn't say was that it took a while and it suits certain people better than others. So as with all things in the social media space, be aware that culture change not the technology may be your biggest challenge. So what does Yammer, a microblogging platform for organisational use , do for real employees that is compelling enough for them to spend the time to "Get it" ? First off Y