Skip to main content

CAUDIT Leadership institute day one

Team building with team sky.
Well day one almost complete, and my head is fit to split.

When I got to the venue I had 45 minutes to get myself sorted out prior to kick off so I opened my room ranch sliders and could hear; nail gun, minor birds and children in the pool. I'm not sure what worried me more the thought of minor birds with nail guys or children in a pool with them :-).
That was about the last simple thought I've had since lunchtime.

Apart from my splitting head when the conversation swung around to Microsoft "surface" and the difficulties of "apple" products again I knew it was time to go to bed.

Arriving on Kiwi time I was starving by lunchtime and I hadn't had time to go out to the shops (if there are some, I still haven't got a sim card for my phone).

Tip 1 - Beg borrow or steal a Sim card, there were only Vodofone ones available in Brisbane airport at rather steep prices. Lucky for me I'd sorted out getting the train from the airport down and thanks to Queensland rail I had free wifi for the whole trip so I got out the emails I'd backed up on the plane and answered a couple of others.

Tip 2 - (and I should have remembered it from when I used to go to the US and UK for work) DON'T travel long distances on the same day you have to do hard cognitive work. I was up at 3am NZ time to be here at 12 noon AU time (about 11hours). Now it's nine oclock local time and I'm absolutely stuffed.

Through the introductions in the afternoon and team exercises I've been lucky enough to get to talk with most of the "faculty", the folks organising and presenting at the event. I tweeted the first section of the day where they introduced themesleves https://twitter.com/#!/search/%40dorjem%20%23cli2012

The first part of the afternoon brought up that this event operates under the Chatham house rules. As one attendee put it "what goes on tour stays on tour". Puts me in a bit of a quandary as I've been asked to blog about the event. I'll just have to use my judgement as I go along and take out people and organisations things where necessary.

We got back our Belbin team role assessments - I'm supposed to look them over and answer another questionaire tonight but I'm off to bed and possibly Yoga in the morning,

The participants are a very varied crew; I've spoken with house renovators, electrical engineers, people who've built roads in Western Australia and computer science majors; all of whom are now up and comming in the University IT world. To a fault interesting and more importantly interested. I'm just sorry I'm being Nigel No Mates and heading to bed so soon.


From an intranet perspective it has been and interesting day - several people are working through very challenging intranet implementations in both large and small organisations. One item of note is that I've had two talk to me about the overhead associated with SharePoint. In both cases we agreed that there is something to be said for scripted languages e.g PHP because they allow for more rapid, lower infrastructure, less trained staff to actually make a difference in days rather than weeks.


I'm looking forward to my brain working tomorrow and getting some more details around these experiences.











Dorje
A bad photo of Pelicans
because they're the best birds ever

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Role Title on profiles

Today one of the people I follow on Twitter asked the following question. @ChristySeason Asking all #intranet tweeps: Does your company publish employees' titles on your employee directory/look up/phone book? In following Intranets Live I've been lucky enough to see some great intranets. As such I was able to reply to Christy with the following Nokia do Deloitte do (see the end of the post) Christy's question also prompted me to document my own intranet's profile page. The following image is from the view other's get of my profile. When I look at my profile I see every item that is recorded. I'll save you from that, another post perhaps, if you're interested. DorjeM PS a couple of Vendors I've been reminded of, thanks Crhis and Carolyn, also have screen shots of their profile pages on the web: ThoughtFarmer - intranet software - slideshow of screen shots and Intranet connections - software solution
To setup rails on IIS and enable it for multiple Applications. START Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 IIS 6 RUBY Install ruby 185_22_rc2.exe You don't have to put it in c:\ruby I created the following folder c:\webdata\ruby, then ran the install. Run install into c:\webdata and say "YES" to deleting the existing ruby directory. During the install I ticked SciTE and Enable RubyGems Took 10mins 1000s of files Ruby GEMS Install Ruby Gems 0.9.1 (don't change it from the defaults) Extract zip file to temp directory, then double click setup.rb, does the default install (about 5mins) Then run at the command line gem pristine --all c:\> gem pristine --all I tried to install Ruby Gems in a particular directory, but couldn't get it working because if you use the command line SET command to put a value into GEM_HOME when the ruby gems installer setup.rb reads the registry it doesn't account for the fact that values in the registry contain double b

Yammer and puddles

Recently I was asked " What are the top 10 points you think are important to get across to staff at all levels in an organisation about Yammer? " My initial reaction was "Tough ask", mainly because I've seen great write ups on what organisations get out of Yammer but very few that talk directly to the user benefits. Many articles give the usual cop out "users can't see the point, until they get it" I admit I was in that boat when I started using Twitter, a public micro blogging platform. But just like they said "once I used it I got it". What they didn't say was that it took a while and it suits certain people better than others. So as with all things in the social media space, be aware that culture change not the technology may be your biggest challenge. So what does Yammer, a microblogging platform for organisational use , do for real employees that is compelling enough for them to spend the time to "Get it" ? First off Y